Friday, October 14, 2011

5 Things you didn't know about me

Since we've only just become acquainted in this venue, I figured I'd give you something to go on. So, here are 5 things you didn't know about me. You'll have to guess about the rest, until I pull the curtain further back!

1. The first book that I read that could be considered Science Fiction or Fantasy (other than Dr. Seuss) was called The Magic Meadow, and was by Alexander Key. Published in 1975, it was about 5 crippled children who seemed to live in a sanatorium, and had a variety of nurses, some more helpful than others. The main character, whose name escapes me (I was 7), somehow figures a way to imagine himself, and later others, to a meadow far away from the sanatorium, which I remember as being filled with dandelions.

2. I might as well confess it now, I do have another blog. It's about my Doberman, Elka, and dog ownership and training.  I've only written once there about writing. If interested, you can read it here: http://theelkaalmanac.blogspot.com/

3. I never dug Emo or Goth (though do appreciate some Goth elements), but SteamPunk is something I really dig. I don't much have the inclination to go about in full costume, but I've thought about it. I've also got a couple of Steampunk novels started; one is very close to being finished. It was my NaNoWriMo winner in 2009, and though I reached the 50,000 words to qualify as a contest winner, I did not complete the novel itself.

4. I never learned how to map sentences. I don't know that I ever really proper learned grammar in elementary school. I learned some French and did a lot of projects and book reports (I was in what was called Launch Class, as opposed to regular ol' elementary school), but participles? Predicates? I do know what a subject is, and what a prepositional phrase is. So maybe I learned and forgot? Who knows. Maybe I was too busy reading.

5. I don't really like poetry. There are a few shining poet exceptions: Allen Ginsbeg, T. S. Eliot, Anne Sexton, Sylvia Plath, Charles Bukowski, Emily Dickinson, W.B. Yeats. I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones who come immediately to mind. When I really like a poem, I love it. If it doesn't grab me in the first couple of lines, I can't even read it.

1 comment:

  1. Some days I suspect my high school English teacher would be ashamed to admit she taught me. I will sit and read and rewrite and read and rewrite the same sentence over and over again, trying to make it sound like it's written in English, not jibberish.

    ReplyDelete