Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Thematic question: Werewolves

When you think of werewolves, what do you think of?

A wolfman, howling at the full moon, changing uncontrollably at night?

A person who can change into a wolf?




I've got a new work in progress. I think I've already made my creative decision. Thinking it over, though, I thought about my own preconceptions, and what we see in movies, and what the World of Darkness does. There aren't a whole lot of werewolf novels that I recommend to people. Herman Hesse's Steppenwolf and Blood and Chocolate, by Annette Curtis Klause. They're frequently kitschy, or all muddled up with vampires and half werewolves and ghosts and crap. Admittedly, once you have a novel with werewolves, that opens the supernatural door to other things; if there are werewolves, other things must exist, right? Well, I'm not worried about that right this second. I

'm writing a story, with werewolves (surprise!) that I'm thinking will be book length. I'm not sure what else I'm going to add, that isn't the story that I'm telling yet. I'm starting with one person, with one family, with one situation. The whole world hasn't opened up yet.

So, the folklore says different things. Man-wolf, just a wolf, sometimes a fox. Varying origins, varying motivations. Which do you think of, folks, when you think of a werewolf?

No comments:

Post a Comment