Saturday, June 2, 2012

Book Review: Let's Pretend this Never Happened, by Jenny Larson

The Bloggess, if you haven't heard of her, is some kind of a mad genius.

Frankly, if you've heard of me and not her, I'm flattered, truly. Her blog is one of the funniest out there, and I love reading it and other things that she does on the web. When I heard that she had a book coming out? Yeah, I was there.



I feel bad for my fiance sometimes. I frequently will be talking to Elka and he'll be all "What?" and I have to say "I'm not talking to you, honey, I'm talking to the dog." Well, this week, I've been reading Let's Pretend This Never Happened and snickering, if not laughing to the point of tears, and he's going "What?" and I have to say, still, "Not you, honey, the book I'm reading."

One reason I love The Bloggess so is that the hijinks that she constantly has remind me of the hijinks that my friend Kelly and I had during college. I miss those days. I was skinnier, and far more clever. Or perhaps I just thought I was more clever, who knows? But I laugh when I read The Bloggess, and laughed a lot when I read her book.

The book was much like the blog, content and style wise. Lawson's writing style is conversational, as though you're in on the joke with her, a co-conspirator. Even as she's relating her earlier, this is totally screwed up, childhood memories, it's still a lot like she's looking at you going "can you believe this? Seriously. Is this for real? I don't know why this happened."

Really, I don't know what else to say about it. I liked it. I'm not a total freak stalker groupie or anything, I just read her blog and follow her on Twitter. You should read it too, if you find her blog is to your taste. I actually had a conversation with a person at the library who returned the book, saying "Oh, I love her blog!" The patron looked at me, mystified, and said "Oh, she has a blog?" Clearly, she didn't read the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment