Sunday, October 14, 2012

Endings, and Beginnings

I assure you, a lack of entries typically means that I'm spending my words elsewhere.

Sometimes it's on the dog blog. Frequently, it is. Sometimes it's on Twitter. Sometimes it's Facebook banter.

And, like the past week and a half, it's been writing. Actual meat-of-the-plot-and-action writing. A novel that I started in March but put away for most of the summer blossomed into 81,000 words, with a sequel already germinating. The sequel will, of course, be my NaNoWriMo novel. And I'm going to plan it.

I know, I know, I've said time and time again I was a pantser. I write the story to find out what happens next. Blah blah blah. As it turns out (gasp) I don't know everything. And reading this blog entry at Pretentious Title, I realized just how damaging my pantsing could really be. As Rachel (the author of that blog) says, why waste my precious writing time figuring out things that I could have laid out already? Planning the broad strokes isn't the actual writing, just the dots that need to be connected. And bitches love connect the dots.

So, if you're interested, I've already updated my author page for NaNoWriMo this year. My novel is titled The Wolf You Feed, using this proverb that I posted in March. I already had sequels on the brain, I guess. Or at least title for a sequel. The book I just finished writing is called Learn to Howl, from the proverb "Who keeps company with the wolf will learn to howl." I guess if I find another good wolfy quote, it'll be a trilogy, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment