Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Next Big Thing

Special thanks to Thea Landen for tagging me to participate in this! 


All righty. So, the Next Big Thing is ten questions about my current work in progress. When I've finished, I'm supposed to tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links (which might be a rule I'll break.....I haven't been so great about networking with other writer-bloggers. That's writers, we're real rule breakers!)

Rules you shouldn't break:

Rules of the Next Big Thing
Use this format for your post
Answer the ten questions about your current WIP (work in progress)
Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them.


But, I'll answer the questions, anyway

1. What is the working title of your book?

The Wolf You Feed. Any time I actually have a title, I tend to be quite attached to it. I'm pretty bad at titles, in general. 

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?

Well, years ago (2005?) I had the idea for the main character, Alleluia (typically called Allie) when a friend was running an old World of Darkness mixed game. Allie was a werewolf, but we only played for three or so sessions. Fast forward to March of this year, when I found the character notes I had written on Allie, and I read them, and then I wrote the book with my own flavor of werewolves, seperate from the World of Darkness, that comes before my current Work in Progress, Learn to Howl. The Wolf You Feed is the sequel.

3. What genre does your book fall under?

Urban Fantasy.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Ooh, this is getting ahead of myself, isn't it? Hmm. Well, Brad Pitt could be one of the male military types that Allie encounters, and so could Norman Reedus (I'd tell you names but really.....it kind of doesn't matter right now.) Her cousin, Morgan, could probably be Eliza DushkuJulianna Margulies could be Rachel, who is Morgan's mother (so, Allie's aunt). For Allie herself? Maybe Zooey Deschanel. Though really, it would be better for not big-name actors to be cast  in all the roles (well, except Norman Reedus and Brad Pitt, as I'd sure like to meet them.....)

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Oh, this is something I need to get better at. Synopses, elevator pitches, all of that.

"Following the events of Learn to Howl, Allie Culver works with her aunts and cousins to uncover the schemes of the organization headed Starheim and Silvernail Enterprises, to bring the company down and expose it as Bad Guys" (yeah. I told you it would be bad.)

6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Well, I intend to polish Learn to Howl after I finish The Wolf You Feed (which is currently my NaNo book. We'll see if I finish the story in the month!) I also intend for there to be a third book, I think, so I should do an outline of that. Then I'll probably shop Learn to Howl, once I figure it's not too embarrassing to show strangers. 

So, the short answer is that I would love to be represented by an agency, I just don't have one at current.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I'm currently in Chapter 15 on day 22. So, at least 8 more days, maybe a little more.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Blood and Chocolate, by Annette Curtis Klauss. The Jane Yellowrock books, by Faith Hunter (book one is Skinwalker). I'm writing about werewolves, but I've tried hard to go back to folkloric sources. I'm not ripping on the World of Darkness, or Twilight [perish the thought], or Underworld, I'm trying very hard to be writing my own story.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

A facet of this book, and the one before it, is the American road trip. Having a destination, but maybe no hard timeline. Stopping to get gas, going to diners, dealing with road food. Fighting over the radio, and maybe not having the most steady relationship with your driving partner. 

10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

I've tried to write a present day book, with real experiences. I'm writing about family relationships, and the lengths that people are willing to go to for one another. There's discussion of responsibility, there's witty banter, there's pop culture reference. I'd like to think my characters are interesting, though some of them are not "go have a drink with" likeable. Oh yeah. And werewolves. 



All righty, bloggers to tag.  

My friend Kelly at http://spoerk.blogspot.com/ 
Stefan, otherwise known as Doctor Checkmate
Christina J. Michaels at The Muse of My Imagination
Cylee Blake at Escapist at Best
Ava Jae at Writability

(hell yeah, I did it!)


Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing:
What is your working title of your book?

Where did the idea come from for the book?

What genre does your book fall under?

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your book! Finishing is never easy. It's taking me much longer than I thought it would, and I'm still not done. Thanks for tagging me, but I already posted this hop back in October. It was my first blog hop, and it was a lot of fun. If I had another project I was working on, I'd do it again, but I'm still plugging away on Epiphany. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frankly, I was chuffed to be able to tag 5 people who I thought might respond! Do what you will with your tagging, I will not be offended ;)

      Delete