Friday, March 15, 2013

Beware the Ides of March (Or, will I do the April Camp NaNoWriMo?)


So, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that April is awfully early for a "summer camp" NaNoWriMo.

I'm probably also not alone in WISHING FOR GODDAMN SUMMER TO GET HERE.

Will I do April's CampNaNoWriMo session? I don't rightly know (writely know?)  I haven't finished The Wolf You Feed just yet. Or finished a not-stupid query letter for Learn to Howl. But, so what? Nobody's beating my door down.

I do have ideas for various projects. My inner weathervane is swinging back towards Steampunk (which could be partially because the gaming season in the household is switching from World of Darkness back to Pathfinder [the version of Dungeons and Dragons we cotton to]). It's a different way of thinking. Different gears. Not that my werewolves are World of Darkness werewolves anyway; I don't want that copyright trial, for serious. And not that my Steampunk is anything that we bring to the table. It's just mine. But, a group creative mood can be influential.

The last time I NaNoWriMo'd a Steampunk novel, I got pretty fed up with it most of the way through, and I don't know if I'm going to try to salvage it, or just call it a writing experience. My previous Steampunk NaNoWriMo is one that I'm very fond of, though, and feel is (eventually? Maybe?) workable. So, a fifty fifty split. Maybe I'll do it. Maybe I won't. Maybe I'll write the next one in America. Or Antarctica.

Of course, in the writing of this post, combined with the Size Matters post of yesterday, I think I've already decided that I'll be doing CampNaNoWriMo, with that short story. Thoughts of it keep coming back to me, and I started the outline. And made updated the novel info on my  profile. And messed around with a picture in photobucket to make a "cover". I guess I'm committed now! It's called The Last Song, but that may or may not change. See, I'm not a Nicholas Sparks fan AT ALL, but his novel titles tend to give me horror story ideas. Probably not his intent. And I guess this story is actually rather more gritty Urban Fantasy, but every genre can contain scary things.

Are you doing Camp NaNoWriMo? It looms! This year's sessions are April and July.

No comments:

Post a Comment