Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Makeup? Pokemon? Pringles?

So, when I bought my first Urban Decay  product, I didn't know it was like Pringles; that I couldn't only have one.

This is a strange confession/realization to have. I never used to wear makeup well, at all. I've got some Bare Escentuals mineral things that I wear because it's far less fuss than doing actual foundation etc. etc. (even if it does leave my sink a bit muddy )I really only had some brief perfume forays (I really liked Sand and Sable once upon a time), something that got a little more hardcore after I discovered the Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (thanks, Neil Gaiman!) Thanks to BPAL, I have Shub Niggurath perfume (my favorite). And Cheshire Cat. And Snake Oil. I had Nuclear Winter (a limited edition holiday scent), but it almost killed both Jim and I, which is odd, because though Jim is frequently allergic to the world, I am not.

But, my first Urban Decay purchase was the Book of Shadows IV. This is a fairly complete makeup setup. Eyeliner, mascara, a bunch of shadows, eye shadow primer (who knew you used primer for that? I didn't), a goddamn laser light show, mirror, and QR codes. Srs bsns.  (I had no idea that "srs bsns" had an official emoticon face. Consider yourself informed.)  I've actually figured out how to put on eyeliner, you see (I started out by  using the Physician's Formula felt tip model, then a "regular" pencil if it's soft enough, and now I can finally use the Urban Decay liquid liner. I have yet to try the little gel pot thingers that come with a brush. I've subsequently also bought the Black Palette. You figure that's enough, right?

Well, I keep seeing ads for the Naked Palette, and since I don't full on glitter smokey eye to, y'know, work at the library with the creeps, I catch myself thinking "oh yeah, I should totally..." WHY?! WHY SHOULD I?  Really, I can buy a neutral Hard Candy palette at Wal Mart and call it good. By why do I want this? What's happened to my brain?

Jim appreciates that I wear makeup now. But seriously. I had to use YOUTUBE to learn how to be a grownup. And there are a lot of "beauty blogs" out there, which I never used to think about. I don't know why I am. I mean, part of the inspiration was a certain Goth cellist character that I created for the purposes of Mage (and who I love dearly), but I haven't picked up her other traits, such as cello. Or being Goth. I mean, I do have a certain sense of despair when facing the world sometimes, and my misanthropy knows few bounds. I have a new appreciation for Bach. But there is little overlap, given that she's a character I created in my brain, and Mage is make believe. Thoroughly enjoyable make believe, but there it is. This is not an Elfstar situation, people (nor do I truly believe such situations actually occur in say, 99.99999999% of the populace, role playing or otherwise).

So, tl; dr I'm getting all girly in some arenas and it weirds me out.


6 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about blogging about how I seem to be missing the part of the X chromosomes that makes this whole makeup thing fun and exciting and not a chore. I settled for whatever was on sale at Target, though. :D Maybe I should turn to youtube to (finally) learn how to apply eyeliner correctly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, isn't it? I guess it makes sense that it took a character to get me interested (she's also the one that got me back into classical music). Youtube is pretty fantastic for "beauty tutorials". It didn't occur to me until more recently to view Youtube as a "how to" resource, and it hasn't really disappointed me yet.

      Delete
  2. once you go to the good make up, the cheap stuff just doesn't feel right.

    it's the same thing with nail polish.

    i still don't know how to use liquid eyeliner. but i think that's because eye makeup means I have to take off my glasses. and then it's kinda a crap shoot on if i can see enough to make myself not look like ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not being able to see + precision eye makeup isn't really going to happen. Sometimes I have to wait between eyes because I pressed down too hard with the eyeliner or whatever and it pushed my contact lens a little wonky.

      Some people get it tattooed, which kind of weirds me out.

      Maybe you should get one of those super zoom mirror things?

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed by anyone who knows what to do with a makeup... thingy. I've been wearing the same iridescent brown eye shadow every day for the past 11 years. Last week it suddenly occurred to me to check the expiration date on the bottom of the jar. Apparently I should have thrown it away in 2004.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worn it every day regularly enough that it feels weird/I feel like I look weird when I don't have it. I have stopped mid leaving the house to go "No, makeup!" (and yes, waterproof makeup is worth it) I also apparently need to figure out what "blending" means with regards to eyeshadow. Because it does not mean just putting one layer on top of another. I also actually USED UP makeup; I'm sure you appreciate how fucking weird that is for me.

      Delete