Monday, April 15, 2013

The Music Bag Mystery

So, a regular patron was in the library with a very neat canvas tote bag. It has sheet music printed on it! No title, of course. I know it isn't the prelude to Bach's first Cello Suite, but really, that's all I've got. I cannot read music; with Google and a piano, I'd be able to puzzle it out in a painfully slow manner (I know where middle C is, have an ear for melodies), but even that wouldn't tell me what the piece is.

I asked her, even, and she didn't know. The next time I saw her with the bag, she was perplexed that I was so fascinated by it. "I don't know what it is," she said.

A friend of hers was nearby, and got in on the conversation. She looked at the bag for awhile, fingers kind of poised, and then shook her head. "I don't know. If I had a piano, I could do it."

A solution! "Why don't you go to the church next door?" I asked, as though I wasn't the one who'd brought up this quandary to begin with. "They have pianos."

The friend looked at me askance. "I'm not going to walk in a church and see if they'll let me play my bag!"


So, I turn to you, Internet (and Mahria, who I probably should have just asked in the first place). This is a picture of the bag. Do you know what piece of music this is?


(apologies for the quality of my cell phone picture. It's what I had at work.)

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, doesn't look familiar (nor does it sound familiar when I "play" it in my head). If I had to make an educated guess, I'd guess it was by Chopin or Lizst (probably the former, as he's a little more popular) based on the chords and structure.

    My music umbrella is Fur Elise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for guessing, anyway! That's certainly closer than I was to begin with.

      Oh neat, a music umbrella! I do like Fur Elise.

      Delete