Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Your brain in a robot body

Since I read Richard K. Morgan's Altered Carbon, I was intrigued by the notion of one's brain/thoughts/consciousness being saved via satellite uplink, making one essentially "immortal" so far as said consciousness goes. If you haven't read Altered Carbon, please do. It's the first in a trilogy.

So with that bit of information, you can assume I'm very, very interested in Dmitry Itskov's Avatar Project. Or the name is the 2045 initiative. I'm only just reading about it, so I'm a little unclear. But the endgame is similar to that of Altered Carbon: your consciousness in an "undying body", a hologram body. The physical body was referred to as a "sleeve" in Richard K. Morgan's books, and was mindless clones, if I remember correctly. There was also that movie with Bruce Willis, Surrogates, wherein one selected a body and "played from home", as my fiancè just put it. He watched that movie; I have not.

2045 also has a video on Youtube, if you're interested (it mentions flying cars! Your brain in a life supporting robot body!). I'm not sure we have any laws regarding cyborgs, robots, and their actions, but I imagine such a thing will happen rather quickly. Maybe it'll take some time to catch up, really, much like Internet laws. I think the Internet happened far faster than lawmaker type people imagined, and continues to bound along in a (mosly) delightful Wild West kind of way. I love this kind of Science Fiction in Real Life™ stuff.

An interesting point in the 2045 video is that "war and violence will be unacceptable", which is a noble goal indeed.

What do you think? Will you be signing up for the 2045 initiative? Will you wait and see if they're any kind of successful at all first?

2 comments:

  1. From the 2045 Initiative website: "to create technologies enabling the transfer of a individual’s personality to a more advanced non-biological carrier, and extending life, including to the point of immortality."

    Urrggg, no, I won't be signing up for this. I can barely watch the news now, and I only think things are getting worse out there. What will my intellect think in 1,000 years about the way things are going?

    I wasn't made for immortality. Is any human being? Really?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't watch the news. I read articles on it, but I really filter the media that I want to bother myself about. Not that I hide from the world, but I pick my own poison, as it were.

      I don't know if any human being was made for immortality. Perhaps there's only one way to find out, though the "non biological" aspect of things is skeevy to me. I'm not sure why that's worst than an "empty" clone.

      Delete