Friday, November 15, 2013

Hitting the Wall?

Well, it's the halfway point through NaNoWriMo, and I am in fact at the halfway mark. I hit 25,000 words before bedtime last night.

I'm only so happy about it, unfortunately.

I am enjoying my project, in theory anyway. It's a topic and location I enjoy. Being "in" my main character's head feels natural and flows well. But my interest level? That's at low tide just now.

Inspiration and motivation are two different things, I feel. Inspiration can catch fire in your thoughts and make everything in the world seem golden and connected and fresh and new and and and. Motivation is a close partner, I guess, but it's different in that motivation is what aims inspiration. Without it, one might end up with unconnected word vomit.

Motivation without inspiration, though, is when you wind up having to resort to butt in chair. Maybe you take prompts, do word sprints, whatever. Maybe you listen to the music that gave you the idea in the first place, or look at pictures, whatever. Those -ions need to work up and get together. Mine...mine have kind of wandered. And I don't like the hair pulling and tooth grinding of working on a project that isn't setting my mind on fire, and that isn't engaging my thoughts when I'm away from it.

I haven't given up on my project yet. I also haven't decided if I'm going to write another half novel of something else and figure eh, 50k is 50k. If it's a new project, it isn't technically cheating, though it isn't one full novel either.

How are you doing, if you're doing NaNoWriMo?


6 comments:

  1. Wow, congrats on being right on schedule! Even when I'm not on a time crunch like NaNoWriMo, I find there are peaks and valleys to my interest level with every project. If it's *not* normal to swing back and forth between "this is the greatest thing ever!" and "god, this sucks", I don't want to know about it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm typically too full of myself to think something sucks AS I'm writing it. It's afterwards, when I contemplate putting something on Absolute Write for critique or something. I need people in-person to beta or something, to get over that initial rough draft gap.

      Delete
  2. Wow..that is awesome.

    I think if you write 50k words then you should have an extra strut in your walk for the next year. That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, thanks! I try to just settle for buying a t-shirt when I "win".

      Delete