Wednesday, November 6, 2013

When Ideas Attack

So, here we are, day 6 of NaNoWriMo. I'm on track, with  10406 words as of Monday night/Tuesday morning. Pleased by that, I must say.

I thought out loud about this on Twitter a bit (as one does): as I've gotten "more serious" about writing, NaNoWriMo has become...easier for me. I don't mean I wrote my book in three days (clearly that hasn't happened), but sitting down for an hour and banging out a thousand words or whatever, I can do that like it ain't no thang. Depending.

Obviously, I have quite a lot of time I'm screwing around and not writing (which is why I haven't finished my novel in three days). And I have times I'm working on other ideas because my brain won't shut up.

I will not say I'm writing two novels this month, because I'm not. It's not my goal, I hesitate to want it to be my goal. But there are times I am rampant with ideas, and feel like I need a bucket to catch my ideas. And so I am working on a second "novel project". Let's call it that.

See, I read this article bloggy thing called 9 Scientific Breakthroughs that Killed Science Fiction Subgenres, and it kind of ticked me off, actually. Because why should real science fuck up our scifi? Yeah, that's what I thought.

But anyway, number 3 on the list is "We Put People on the Moon". Uh, okay. What's that got to do with Moon science fiction? I mean, okay, there's no Moon people. We get it. But Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress involved no aliens, but rather people who had originated on Earth and were subsequently functioning on the Moon for a variety of reasons, with obvious survival precautions taken. Sure, nobody just lives on the surface of the Moon. But "no existing Moon civilizations" does not, to me, preclude the existence of science fiction taking place there.

So yeah. Now I'm writing a Moon novel, because fuck those guys. You can't tell me what I'm interested in (and clearly I don't care about whether people want the current genre in which I'm writing, exhibit werewolves). This is not the kind of a thing I can comfortably "sprint" with, for NaNoWriMo, because I do need enough science to make the fiction work.

So what do you think? Are our Moon landings enough to make the moon entirely uninteresting? Should real Science get in the way of genre fiction? Personally, I think they can get along. We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see where you go with it. Now that you mention it, it does seem like science fictions stories keep getting set farther and farther out. Or maybe that's just the movies. Have you ever read the short story "Inconstant Moon" by Larry Niven? Not set on the moon, but it's a major player in the story. Beautiful piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, I haven't read that! I'll have to find it someplace so I can. Thanks!

      It really seems to me that I in fact prefer the scifi (stories and novels) of the "Golden Age" up to short of present (I'm not sure where the cutoff is...the 80's? I've read few modernly written science fiction stories or novels that I LOVED in the same manner that I do something like Heinlein's offerings or Asimov.) I'll have to investigate that further.

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure it's on the Internet even though it's not public domain. Seems to me I found it there. (I read it first when I was choosing selections for a high school anthology, and it haunted me so much I had to find it again.)

      Delete
    3. It is, I found it! (not done reading it yet, but thank you again for pointing it out)

      http://downtownmagnets.edlioschool.com/ourpages/auto/2011/6/10/35789158/Inconstant%20Moon.pdf

      Delete