Monday, December 23, 2013

Routines and Rumination

So, my hours changed at work, which is magical. I've got a 9-5 now like  a real grown up, still at the library. I do all the Interlibrary Loan stuff now, which fills my day and occupies my brain in an appropriate way.

The last time I had a job with this type of schedule, I worked for the Cat Fancier's Association. This was back when they were located in Manasquan, NJ. They've since relocated to Ohio, and I don't think any of the same people work there at all. Which is kind of a shame, because the woman who did the pedigrees and genetics and things was a descendant of somebody who'd started the organization.

But I digress.

My point is, years ago is the last time I had a 9-5 job as opposed to a noon-9 job or what have you. This is messing with me in a number of ways. It's really great, because the work day goes super fast. I get there, and two hours later have a break, and two hours later have a lunch, and two hours later have my last break. After that, home is just around the corner. So I get home between 5 and 5:30, and then at some point in our long murky evenings, I get super tired. I try to make it 'til 11, and go to bed and start all over. It's the first week, I'm still adjusting, to be sure.

But after 11 used to be "my writing time".

Of course, right now, I'm preparing my "submission package" for the Angry Robot Books open door. I'm counting my blessings that so many agents are willing to blog about their experiences and preferences and How Things Work in the industry, so I can write a synopsis without too much angst (Janet Reid even says specifically that it's supposed to read like a "book report from a third grader." This is a profound relief). Of course, this doesn't mean my synopsis is written yet. I started it! But I'm also re-reading the first five chapters of Learn to Howl with a critical eye. I've got another opinion and comments under my belt, thanks to the magnificent and magical Kelly!

It's always an agonizing process, when somebody else is reading your project. You suddenly think it's stupid. Or you hope they don't think it's stupid. Or you wonder about the things you should change. You think about the things you will defend because that is how they need to be for the story goddammit, the story demands it! And then, sometimes, a lot of time, you don't need to fight about anything.

Do I think I'm going to make it past the slush with the Angry Robot submissions? I don't know. And I won't know, if I don't try. If it's a rejection, well, at least I've got the experience. And at least I'll have the Learn to Howl synopsis done, for when I'm querying agents, and they ask for one!

4 comments:

  1. congrats on the new job! And I wish you all the luck with your writing project

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll adjust to your new schedule. Give it a little time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would help if I actually tried to stick to things a little better. I'll be fine!

      Delete