Friday, February 7, 2014

So I finished writing The Last Song

I'm not in the habit of writing "The End" on my manuscripts ("writing", seeing as how they're typically electronic), but if I was, I'd've written it on The Last Song over the weekend. It needs edits, I know it does, and some scenes might be a touch out of order. But overall, I'm pleased. I'm in that odd stage of exhalation. I'm writing something else (a short piece) and thinking about agents to send it to and checking my email manically for a message from Angry Robot Books telling me they want Learn to Howl or they don't.


But, there are always other distractions. My Facebook is private, but there was this thing (on Facebook) which would look back through your schutff and make a "movie" (to somewhat plinky inspirational style music). I was happily amused by my "most liked" posts, and so I figured I'd share them with you:

"So, I got the great idea to write horror stories with Nicholas Sparks titles. First up? The Notebook" ~May 2012 (You may or may not have guessed that's where The Last Song got it's title. Well, that and the fact that it's a modernized take on Orpheus. I literally do not know what else I would call it.)

"A little girl took her first steps at the library tonight" ~September 2012  (her family is great. It's cool and terrifying to watch children grown through that kind of lens)

"I'm playing the new GTA: I stole a hearse and am listening to Phil Collins' "Don't Care Anymore" #yolo" ~September 2013 (does this require elucidation? I don't really think so)

"And a win, at 50,116 words!" ~November 2013 (this was the still untitled and unfinished Asbury Park 1979 NaNoWriMo project)



Also while poking around on Facebook, Ploughshares shared this post about self publishing which is pertinent to my "writing" blog here. I do talk about writing, really. And reading. And stuff that's research I'll roll into writing eventually (for instance, I finally have a story idea to funnel all that rhino horn fodder into).

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing The Last Song! Nothing like that sigh of relief and exhaustion with a newly completed manuscript. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that awkward dance to avoid opening it up and trying to edit right away... ;)

      (primary reason I'm occupying myself with agents and query letters)

      Delete
  2. Strangely enough, that's the second time today that Lonely Island bit has come up in my internet browsings!

    Congratulations on finishing and good luck with your submissions! (I know that feeling of constantly checking email all too well. Phone/pop-up alerts have helped a little bit...but not much.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strangely applicable at times!

      Thanks very much! I'm trying not to have too-high hopes, just reasonable ones. Plus, I've only gotten short story rejections so far, never a novel one. It'll be a novel experience either way (hurr hurr).

      Delete
  3. Congrats on "THE END."

    Welcome to the "okay, what now" club.

    *hands over a string of pearls to clutch*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I knew I was lacking something in my toolkit ;)

      Delete
  4. ooo oo ooo do i get to be the first reader/editor on this one too? (i promise to be a bit more timely with this one...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you as my first reader ;)

      I need to do a content edit first (I'm letting it sit for a month, whilst keeping a file of things I need to fix/change/adjust) , and you can have it after that.

      Delete
    2. Yay! I'm excited that you're excited.

      Delete