Thursday, March 6, 2014

Camp NaNowriMo 2014

So yesterday, I noticed on Facebook ( I think it was Facebook) that the Camp NaNoWriMo site had relaunched. First session is in April, after all! I guess they've leveled out and decided April and July are going to be The Sessions (the first year, if I remember right, it was July and August).

You can customize things regarding your project, starting with word count goals. I think that's one of the Big Scary Things about NaNoWriMo: 50,000 words, are you crazy?


I also may  or may not have convinced two of my coworkers to do it with me. If you can set the minimum (10,000 words) and do whatever you want (poetry!) then there's less to fear, right? Maybe. But I saw it on my break and went downstairs and said "Hey y'all, let's do Camp NaNoWriMo!"  One coworker was tentatively for it, the other was hesitant. I also don't know which month I personally want to do, or if I want to do both months.

I've got enough projects in mind that making any kind of a dent in one of them would be great. After all, two Camp sessions last year is how I wrote the bulk of The Last Song. I lowballed the word count goals and just kept myself going each day. Progress bars are underrated, I think. But, if I'd done that for NaNoWriMo, it would've been "cheating". Camp NaNoWriMo feels a little more free spirited with regards to your goals and choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment