Monday, March 10, 2014

Just a few notes...

As I stated last week, Camp NaNoWriMo has relaunched their web site. I've kind of dithered around, wondering if I would do April, or July, or both. Not sure about July still. April is almost certainly a go, as I've decided on a project (I think) and have begun....well, not outlining. It's like a synopsis, I guess, just a "this happens then this then this", very basic, chapter by chapter. I'm also trying to write it without any actual speculative elements at all. That's right. No magic, no werewolves, no science fiction. Straight up fiction. Or maybe it's a "thriller" (I really need to read more about what people think that means.)

IN my random research roundup, I found a few interesting articles on people in modern times naming their houses and/or estates.  It was a thing I really liked when I read Gone With the Wind, that all the houses had names, and it's a thing I like when we visit the Outer Banks (wikipedia has a List of American houses). And of course there's Manderly.

I've also found Stick Figure Hamlet, which appears to be the entire play.

Last but not least is the Kerbal Space Program, which allows you to build your own space ship/program and was (I believe) created in some partnership with NASA. I heard about it because I saw an article that had updates to the game, allowing you to work on an asteroid deflection problem or something along those lines.

4 comments:

  1. My vote is a story stemming from a named house. So many, many directions to go in from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many, many directions. I think I've even named the house! (or estate or whatever).

      Delete
  2. Stick Figure Hamlet. One has to ask, WHY?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simplification is du rigeur? ;)

      One can hope that even if Shakespeare is reduced to its lower common denominator, it'll still catch some minds to go to the original text.

      Delete