Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Camp NaNoWriMo April: Winner!



Well folks, I crossed the 50,000 word mark this morning. Unlike previous times, when I tried to validate the first go-round, my wordcount was 49,999, just barely off from what Open Office said I had. So I wrote another sentence, did it again, bingo!

Unlike some NaNoWriMo's, I never lost interest in my project this year. I didn't bog down, though there were days I was behind because of non writing activities. Real life happens, y'all, and you make up for it in writing time when you can. Do I regret any of it? Not the slightest bit.

But I'm going to keep going on this work, a serial killer thriller that's a riff on Hamlet, and finish the draft before I "put it to bed". Really, National Novel Writing Month has the best "ring" to it, but I've moved on to considering it "National First Draft Writing Month", for it's in first drafts you're concerned most with getting the words on the page in a pell-mell rush, hoping perhaps to give in to some transcendent madness of creation and achieve something greater than anything you'd tried before. It's in editing that the story gets ironed out, hemmed up, additionally embroidered.

No comments:

Post a Comment