Monday, May 26, 2014

A collection of unrelated thoughts. Or are they? Yeah, they probably are.

All right, I'm gonna throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and see what sticks. Like testing if spaghetti is done. Of course, I never do that with spaghetti; I in fact just try it. Al dente is a thing, y'all. So here's some Elka, and enjoy the links.






On Imgur, people frequently do "the best of Tumblr" style posts. This is helpful to those of us who find Tumblr incomprehensible, so we can still have some lolz. This collection had a lot of "good ones".

In light of the fantasy novel I'm planning, Wikipedia has a handy-dandy list of women warriors in folklore. Some of them I'd heard of (Boudica, Calamity Jane) and others I have not. It's a list I haven't worked all the way through yet.

I'm sure we know what an urban legend is. Have you heard the one about the Black Knight Satellite? In 1899, Tesla picked up radio signals he thought were from space. As years have gone by, we've gotten other weird radio signals, and also gained an understanding of what's in our immediate orbit. Is it there? Isn't it there? It's like Schrödinger's satellite.

So in college I had a bitch of a time doing bibliographies and citations right, probably because I was alternating between APA format and MLA, depending on what class I took. Now there are bibliography formatting websites. Kids these days have it easy, man, I'm telling you. At least Napster was legal, or not yet technically illegal, my Freshman year.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, the days of papers written in MLA and APA styles. And on a manual typewriter, to boot. I can honestly say I do not miss those days at all.

    As for your hodge-podge post, I like it, Jen! Although admittedly, I don't know my imgur from my Schrödinger.

    :) kk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I decided last month I was going to call this kind of thing Lazy Linking™ and then promptly forgot. Ah well.

      I miss college, but not citations. Though my papers were not typed on a manual typewriter. Really, I miss college but not classes.

      Delete