Friday, June 6, 2014

Am I Qualified?

July is only a hop, skip, and a jump away. My "information meeting' for the Camp NaNoWriMo writer's workshop thinger is in the last week of June. I've got the general idea of a novel hammered out. And I've paused with the "who do I think I am, anyway?" notion.

I'm 'just' a library clerk, no master's degree. My degree is, in fact, in psychology. I've never run a workshop of any kind before, on writing or otherwise. I'm not necessarily a very patient teacher, though having a dog has helped me a bit. I've taught Elka all kinds of things.

This isn't a 3 a.m. panic or despair or anything. I'm not tearing at my hair or garments, wailing that I'm not good enough. I'm confident I'll do just fine, actually.

I've done NaNoWriMo since 2007. I've done Camp NaNoWriMo since the year it started. The only November session I've failed was in 2010, where I abandoned my idea halfway through and started a new one. Combined, the two novels were almost 50k, but just short.

So, in short, I know how to get my shit together and make the  little electro-letters crawl across the page. I pants it like there's no tomorrow, because if I don't write it for my characters, they don't have a tomorrow. I plan, sometimes, making valiant effort at outlines that only make it to chapter 6 before being abandoned. Some of my outlines are "longer", but I'm typically no more faithful to them.

How to translate this to other writers, though. To people who haven't written in a long time, perhaps, and want to try it again. To people who have never really written, and want to give it a shot. To people who've tread water and need that glimpse of shore to head towards.

To be a writer, you need to write. That is the long and the short of it. I write, therefore I can head a workshop. Novelists without degrees teach at colleges all the time, right? (maybe?) Maybe I should be more worried about it, but I'm not going to worry about my worry, that's getting a little too meta, n'est-ce pas? I'm just going to keep on keepin' on, plan my last couple of workshops (I've got the first few laid out in general). Come up with some fun prompts, fun ways to implement them  (dice? index cards?) This is exciting, and exciting is good.

And July is my favorite month.

No comments:

Post a Comment