Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Some fun prompt websites

I've been looking up writing prompt websites, y'know, because I'm a super nerd and prompts are fun.

I haven't really used any of these sites I'm going to link to you. But I may use them when running my Camp NaNoWriMo workshop. I got my first signup already! A little less than 3 weeks 'til July 1. Are you camping? Are you ready?

There's a Tumblr just full of writing prompts, called Writing Prompts, oddly enough (this is going to result in my not recognizing the words "writing" or "prompt" as a word after I'm done typing this post. This other Tumblr calls itself Awesome Writing Prompts but...I'm not sure they are. Maybe it's because of the expectation? The final Tumblr offering I'm going to give you is I Dare You to Write, because we could all use a little creative antagonism.

This guy's blog has a "master list" of speculative fiction writing prompts, which is pretty rad. Typically, I can turn a story speculative or weird without much effort, so it's almost a relief when it's expected. It almost makes me want to go the other way, and write a literary story from a speculative prompt. Like, DON'T IMPOSE YOUR GENRE ROLES ON ME.

The Prompt Machine has an interesting premise, wherein they say "All stories can be boiled down to the following: A wants B but can't have it because of C." They boast literally one million possible variations on their clickable prompt generator thing.

Oneword.com gives you, y'know, one word and then you write about it for sixty seconds. You can sign up, and I assume that means it'll save your one minute writing binges under your account. I got "decadence', but I was writing this post, so I didn't do it. Nor do I have an account.

There's something about the randomness of writing prompts that appeals to me. It's also a facet of tabletop RPG's I like. You can make whatever decisions you're going to, the story is what it is, but sometimes a whole lot hinges on the roll of a single die. Will you succeed? Fail? Die? It's fascinating.

But, if you're not into randomness, I can get that. What about positive reinforcement? There's Written? Kitten! You write 100 words (at minimum; you can change it), they give you a picture of a kitten, puppy, or bunny.


2 comments:

  1. Nice collection of links here! I'll definitely have to check them out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think they're worth looking at, especially if you're kind of casting about for something to write in the "off season" (i.e., when not working on a novel or whatever).

      Delete