Monday, July 14, 2014

Finish this story your past self started

I woke up this morning with a story in my head that was not my Camp NaNoWriMo novel.

No, this story is a short one, and I should be working on it instead of blogging about this random inspiration, so I can write it and get back to the novel. But you know how that goes.

It isn't often I have a short story idea that occurs beginning-middle-end in my mind. I won't say it's already complete and I just have to get it down, but I definitely have more of a framework than I normally would otherwise. My hard drives are rife with stories which have started out well (more or less) and then I stopped. So I have no idea where I was going. I may never know. Occasionally I look at these stories, and I think I do intend to finish them all, somehow, some day. Good intentions and all that.

But it's a writing exercise in itself, isn't it? Finish this story your past self started. That's your only clue.

No comments:

Post a Comment