Friday, July 18, 2014

The Silver Lining

If you haven't heard of it before, check out The Submission Grinder. I already keep a spreadsheet of my stories and where they've been submitted to (read: rejected from), but the Submission Grinder keeps track of how long the work was on submission, when it was rejected, form rejections versus personalized, etc. It's a neat resource to look at.

Unfortunately, what I've been clocking since I signed up has been rejections. Granted, that's what I've gotten since I started submitting, so I'm used to it, right? Pretty thick skinned by now, I'd say.

As the rejections roll in, it's occurred to me to stop subbing for a little while. I think I'm going to take the cue from Michael Seese and submit stories throughout an upcoming month. He did it last October, a sub a day, so that's 31 pieces of writing. I don't think I have quite that many that are "worth it" at the moment, but I've been piling them up as time goes on.  On Monday, I wrote a story that is not my Camp NaNoWriMo project. It needs editing, of course, but I'll wait a bit before reading it over again. This one can go in the "submission pile". There's a couple of rewrites I have in mind for stories which have been submitted at least once. There's a couple rewrites I have in mind for flash I've done in the past but never put anywhere.

So, we'll see how many I get written and fixed, and see how many venues I can find/think of which will be open at the time. Onward and upward!

2 comments:

  1. Keep going! Having the courage to submit work is an achievement in itself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is scary to submit work. I guess it must be scarier to think nobody will ever read it if I don't? The lesser of two evils? ^^

      Delete