Friday, August 1, 2014

White Rabbit




July was a pretty good month.

I completed 30k of a fantasy novel, which included The Dreaded Prologue™, but in this case the prologue totally made sense because the book is about two characters who are 1. in the prologue and 2. directly affected by the...inciting event? that happened there. Inciting event is probably the wrong term, because it's supposed to be the kick in the ass your main character gets, and while what happens certainly was a kick in the ass, it wasn't the kind everybody's talking about.

Anyway.

The writing workshop went well. Not everybody was finding the time to write at home, and/or were having troubles, so for most of the month we did writing prompts, talked about Important Writing Things™, etc. In the last two sessions, though, we brought work from home, read it out lout, and mini-crititqued it. Answered the "would you keep reading?" question. That kind of thing. I'm going to run another workshop in November, for real National Novel Writing Month, with an eye towards people starting a longer work and adding to it throughout the month. Kind of what Camp was, but not really.

So what now?

Obviously my fantasy novel isn't done. Not at 30k, and not story wise. However, I think I'm going to follow my typicaly MO and "put it to bed" for now. Maybe I'll finish reading and editing and tweaking The Last Song so I can send it to Kelly, or maybe I'll fully finish my April novel, because of course I didn't finish it yet, though it's so very close, and I have to figure out how my Claudio stand in is going to die.

Oh yeah, and at least one of my Twitter buddies has said I should definitely keep going with Klara and the Clockwork Djinn, so I'll work on installment two and post that...eventually. Our goal is to motivate each other, and set a post date. So if I get done early, I guess I'll keep working on the serial installments. Maybe do one a month? That's downright Dickensian! We'll see.

6 comments:

  1. Prologues seem to get a bad rap these days. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some RIDICULOUS ones that seem to go on forever before actually getting to the damn story, but I don't think there's anything wrong with one quick scene that sets the stage and establishes the main character(s).

    As long as you didn't spend 5000 words describing a map, I think you're good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, thanks! We got a fantasy novel at the library recently which had something close to a 100 page prologue. It looked (from the cover) like my kind of book as well....but I haven't given it a try yet.

      No, no mapping ^^

      Delete
  2. Yay! for making it through Camp. :) Sounds like it was a productive month. Dickensian, btw, sounds excellent to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel pretty satisfied, other than not making 50k on the novel. I did other stories, though, and editing and formatting for submission, which in a way can be more involved than the writing was in the first place.

      Dickensian in that it's serialized (and I seem to remember stories of people waiting on the docks for the boat to come in with the latest Dickens installment), but also because I think there will probably, to some degree, be some class/labor material in it.

      Delete
  3. 30k is impressive; it's more than what I wrote in July. I like writing workshops; it helps to be around other people who are going through similar situations with writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like writing workshops too! I'd like to find a workshop or group to regularly participate in, and after this Thursday's Author Visit, it looks like there is far more activity in this town/area than I thought there was. So that's encouraging!

      Delete