Wednesday, November 5, 2014

NaNoWriMo Playlist

I've mentioned before, I do so enjoy listening to music while I write. Sometimes it's one song, over and over, if the fancy strikes me. Sometimes it's the writing playlist I came up with back in 2007, for that very first NaNoWriMo. And other times, I make up a new playlist for a new piece (and The Last Song's playlist didn't really stay what I laid out in that post. But elements are there).

This November, I've made gestures at doing a new playlist for the novel, tentatively titled The Twelve Apostles. It's an amalgam of things which interest me, bikers and exorcisms (the religious occult in general, really), and magic in otherwise gritting real life settings. The soundtrack for Sons of Anarchy has made its contributions, to be sure (I haven't finished watching it yet, don't say ANYTHING about anything but the first season, if you must comment on SoA).


I'm still adding and removing songs as catch my fancy, and swapping them around so order works well. Some of these, I possess CDs they're on (I still buy CD's, odd I know), and others are MP3's I purchased individually. And sometimes I go off the reservation and just listen to something on YouTube for awhile, like Styx's "Renegade" or something.


1. "Fire on High", Electric Light Orchestra
2. "John the Revelator", Curtis Stigers and the Forest Rangers
3. "Young Men Dead", Black Angels
4. "Gimme Shelter", The Rolling Stones
5. "When the Man Comes Around", Johnny Cash
6. "You've Seen the Butcher", Deftones
7. "Stairway to Heaven", Led Zeppelin
8. "Son of a Preacher Man", Katey Sagal and the Forest Rangers
9. "Black Betty", Ram Jam
10. "Frankenstein", Edgar Winter Band
11. "Adam Raised a Cain", Bruce Springsteen
12. "When the Levee Breaks", Led Zeppelin
13. "More than a Feeling," Boston
14. "Atlantic City", Bruce Springsteen
15. "Long Road to Ruin", Foo Fighters
16. "Highway to Hell", 2Cellos cover
17. "Sympathy for the Devil", The Rolling Stones
18. "Dirty Magic", The Offspring

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a good playlist for NaNoWriMo or even just writing in general, though I must admit that most of my playlists on my iPod are the opposite of yours; I even have more than one Britney playlist. :) I also like the music they play at cafes; they should sell CDs with the cafe's playlists, rather than just the individual artists, though I guess they can't do that due to legal issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I'm sure they probably can't sell CD's like that, but I think they can tell you what kind of playlist to do on the Apple Store or whatever.

      In general, this is a lot of the music I regularly listen to (I like the "hairy" kind of guitars the Black Angels use quite a lot.)

      Delete
  2. Oh this sounds like a good playlist, I'm always on the lookout for new writing music! There's quite a few songs in there that I don't know so looking forward to giving it a whirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the songs you try; glad to help inspiration along.

      Delete