Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Climbing the ladder to the high dive

Okay, guys, I'm going to do it.

In February, I'm going to start submitting The Last Song to agents.

This month (this WEEK, I should mean) I'm going to email/text/Facebook message/WHATEVER the people who have the manuscript and said "Please, guys. Please try to get to it by January 31."

This may be unreasonable. It might not be. I maybe should wait longer. I might not need to wait at all. I need other human eyes to cross my work before I take such a big step. But I feel like I can't wait, either. I'm not sure there's anything else to add to the text, anything else to take away. Of course, if my readers tell me I've done something terrible, I need to fix X things, that February thing could get pushed back.

I want it to be ready, though. I'm ready. I look at Library Journal, Kirkus, publishing blogs. What's coming out in 2015. It isn't me, not yet. But it won't be if I don't sub.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the agents! And I think it's okay to give them a Jan. 31 deadline. That's still more than three weeks away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave my (hopefully gentle) nudges today, and those who responded did so enthusiastically, so we'll see how it goes! I do have such thoughtful and helpful friends, I feel very lucky.

      Delete
  2. Hi, here's to you finding an agent - and quickly! I too, don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the Jan 31 deadline. You might have blogged about The Last Song before..., but can I ask what it's about? (I love the title)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much! I hope so too, but I feel like I need to be mentally prepared to be in for the long haul.

      The Last Song is a modern take on the Orpheus and Eurydice Greek myth, set in Detroit, with Orpheus a successful rock star.

      Delete
    2. Now that's a great idea/premise. Orpheus as a rock star. I can dig it. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I really enjoyed writing it, and I do hope I'm able to find somebody who, what do we say, shares my vision of it? Also enjoys it? ETc. etc.

      Delete