Monday, January 12, 2015

Pick 20 pages

So you know what's hard? Figuring out the 20 pages you feel best represent your writing.

See, there's an arts grant thing in New York state I want to apply for, recommended to my writing workshop by a local author. One of the categories this year is fiction, you see. They're different each year. You don't have to have been published, just an artist who has a vision which can be aided/supported/whatever by this grant. It's pretty rad, actually.

So you need to pick 20 pages. And then do a 200 word work statement that relates to the writing and explains it. Not so bad, I guess, once I figure out what I'm going to use. Should I just go for the gold and use the first twenty pages of The Last Song? Should I use a couple of short stories (it can be any 20 pages, though not "fragments"). I should probably use The Last Song. Though there's also a 400 word excerpt explanation to contextualize the piece, which makes sense.

Of course, then there's the 700 word "curriculum vitae", which is going to look awfully spare for me. I don't have a Bachelor's in writing. I'm not pursuing an MFA. I devour books. I handwrote a 1000 page epic fantasy novel in high school. I work at a library, where I have run NaNoWriMo workshops. I've been a NaNoWriMo participant since 2007. These seem eclectic. I guess it could be worse?

Have you ever applied for an artist's grant?

2 comments:

  1. Nope...never applied for a grant.

    I wish you all the luck, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel like I'm going to need it!

      But I figure...15 people get it. That's a pretty wide field. I don't know how many applicants they tend to get, though.

      Delete