Monday, March 2, 2015

6 queries sent! (plus, how I'm NOT querying)

As of now, I've queried 6 literary agents for THE LAST SONG. Haven't heard back from one yet (except the couple who have auto replies on the query email address, which stops my heart each time, I tell you whut).

Some I've had to remove from my "initial pass" list of 13 or so, because they're just gone. M-O-O-N. Quit or retired or something, I don't know. Some I have to wait on, because they're closed to queries just now.

My query letter is....good enough, I think? I've had a couple of eyes on it, with no major criticisms. Plus, I've read all of Query Shark, and keep up on Janet Reid's day to day blog, in addition to reading things like the Rejectionist, the New Leaf Literary blog, etc. etc. I had a brief "clever" idea to write an invocation of the muse as a query, since THE LAST SONG is the Orpheus and Eurydice myth, but clever queries only work if they work, and sometimes you burn bridges before realizing they're a total fail. So I didn't do that. I'm also not saying things like "OMG, if you sign this book with me, we can totally get Dave Grohl to do an album for the book, right? He's so cool and will totally be into that! And then when we sign the movie rights, we can get Alexander Skarsgård to star!"

The book....well, I'm pretty sure the book is good enough. I still like it. I've got at least one person who read it in its entirety and asked what else I had that they could read. I've got a couple folks making gestures at it when they can, in the midst of their own busy lives (And I'm VERY THANKFUL AND GRATEFUL TO THEM).

I still haven't settled in to a new writing project. Again, this isn't unusual for me. And I saw on Facebook today that CampNaNoWriMo is going to be starting up again. Maybe I should use it to finish my girl-Hamlet novel? Or work on my fantasy novel from last summer? Or finish The Wolf You Feed, which needs a lot of editing but needs to be DONE first so I should stop fucking around and write it first, fix it later, which is I know a principle which works well with me if I could just actually do it for crying out loud. Part of it is I have the luxury of time, I guess. No real deadlines. No real consequence to not finishing or writing any of these things, because I have no contractual obligations. Of course, that's a two-edged sword; I can write what I want, when I want. I don't have to do any of it. I want to. So sometimes I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment