Monday, March 23, 2015

Holding Pattern

So no, I haven't been writing much lately.

Or, more correctly, I have. But it isn't anything...cogent? Useful? Ultimately publishably productive beyond the exercise of putting electronic words to the electronic page?

The writing workshop is going well, but none of my writing prompts have, for me, taken off into what will become a larger work. Maybe some of them will. But there's still steeping in the subconscious brain soup, and having bubbled to the surface yet.

here's some Elka for your troubles



I have been writing character stuff for a game we have going, but I almost always write at least some character stuff for games, whether I share it with anybody or  not. Unfortunately, game and character stuff, unless you're one of those fortunate people contracted to write fiction for one of those gaming companies, amounts to fan fiction away from the context of the gaming table. You can't sell it, publsh it, whatever, unless you take the time to file the serial numbers off and make it cogent on its own. But it's weird to think about doing that, with a character you've played in a game. Your character, once he or she comes into the contact with the story from the storyteller and comes into contact with the other player becomes somebody who isn't quite yours anymore. So maybe I'll one day in the future write a separate story with a character somewhat like any of my gaming experiences sometime, but it won't be that exact person. It wouldn't feel right, I don't think, to use that exact person. Any of those exact persons.

Let's see, and I've gotten....four agent rejections now for The Last Song, all forms. My rule of thumb is if I'm confused, it's a form, not personal. Even the one which was about a single sentence and very personally voiced, but offered nothing particular to my work.

And, April looms! I haven't decided yet if I'm going to participate in any of the Camp NaNoWriMo sessions this year. I did last year, both sessions, and have part of a thriller gender-swapped Hamlet and part of an epic fantasy novel. In my idle thoughts, I feel like my girl Hamlet is what I need to work on, and it's occurred to me to include supernatural elements that I'd deliberately left out but had played with in a prior NaNoWriMo joint, my Asbury Park novel. So maybe I'll mash 'em together and see what I get. My gut says it's a good and interesting idea, and would take Hamlet further away from the source material, which can only improve it, I feel.

2 comments:

  1. This is just what I needed to read. Keep going..keep working. The rejections aren't personal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of help! It's funny, the form letters are very nice, and all emphasize that it's one agent's opinion, not an opinion of your work as a whole, etc. etc. The wording clearly has become finely honed over the years.

      Delete