Friday, January 1, 2016

The year that was, and the year to come

I was going to write this post yesterday, but I did dishes and played Fallout 4 and went to bed instead. I'm an adult.



Anyway. Because Janet Reid posted her year end stats, I thought I'd do so too. I'm a copycat. Or was inspired. Whatevs.


In 2105 I had my first short story published.  It was then "reprinted" in the Far-Fetched Fables podcast. After 10ish years of submitting stories with varying levels of seriousness, this was amazing for me. It still makes me very happy. And occasionally, somebody looks me up on Twitter to tell me that they liked the story, "Adventuring". Which is truly awesome.


 
In 2015, I sent out 74 short story submissions (and my at-a-glance short story stats are courtesy of The Submission Grinder.)  I received 20 personal rejections in 2015. I received 48 form rejections. 6 stories are still pending. 

In 2015, I queried 19 agents for The Last Song. I've received 2 full requests. I've received 2 personal rejections, and one of those fulls is still pending. 

In 2015, I read 43 books, and that was novels, graphic novels, manga, comics, short stories, etc. 

So, what's in store for next year?

In 2016, I want to do the Book Riot Read Harder challenge. Many of their "categories" are books I'd be reading anyway, but some are not, and it's an interesting and fairly hands off way to try and direct my reading.

In 2016, I want to continue querying agents for The Last Song.

In 2016, I want to finish at least one novel. I start many novels (I started what, three this year?) but I have a hard time writing to The End.

In 2016, I want to finish at least one short story per month. Many of my October Submissions were repeats from last year, which is kind of sad for a number of reasons. I have a short story that's gone out 18 times so far, and I think I've rewritten it too far and need to return to an early save.



There's no way to know what the year would bring. But these are my intentions with the "controllable" variables. So we'll see how that goes.

 

4 comments:

  1. Ah, beautiful Elka! And...congratulations on your short story publication! I know how happy that must have made you. To me, you've had a very productive year. The querying of THE LAST SONG (love the title) and receiving requests for two fulls? All that you listed sounds (IMO) like you're beating the odds. It sounds like 2016 will have some good things in store. And yes, I get the difficulty too, of writing to THE END - but you'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky I have a photogenic dog, she makes up for my photography "skills"!

      I feel pretty productive, other than not having completed very many new shorts.

      I do confess, THE LAST SONG is a title cribbed from Nicholas Sparks, but it's about urban fantasy Orpheus, so what else was I gonna call it? I haven't read the Sparks book.

      Looking forward with hope to 2016 having good things! I mean, YOUR book is coming out, so I'll get to read that! ;)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the short story publication! I'm pondering submitting some short stories this year. You had a very productive year, as Donna already said.

    Keep going on the queries. You don't fail until you stop trying.

    Good luck on the new novel.

    What a beautiful dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Elka is my pride and joy (and aggravation and all other things dogs are in our lives!). I am not a good photographer, but she is a forgiving subject.

      You should definitely send out some shorts! If you're not sure where (and even if you are, but they already turned you down, as is sometimes the case for me), I'm partial to using The Submission Grinder to track my subs and find new markets.

      I intend to keep querying, and have perhaps found another friend to read for me, so that'll be potentially helpful. There are many agents left, some of whom have been closed 'til this point, and if they ALL say no, well, I'll trunk it and query the next one.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete