Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Honorable Mention

Almost every time Janet Reid has a 100 word flash contest on her blog, I enter. Most of the time I get nary a mention, which is fine. There's tough competition over there, and a lot of talented, thoughtful writers. But twice (!) now, I've gotten into "special recognition" categories. The first time was for "not quite a story but man oh man", and now in this most recent nod, the category was "Special recognition for entries that weren't quite stories, but if they were the start of novels, I'd want to read on". It's hard to write a beginning-middle-end in 100 words.

But, for your perusal, here is my entry in the "We Are Not Good People" giveaway flash contest (it's by Jeff Somers, and is the sequel to Trickster. I haven't read it yet, but I loved Trickster. So you should check 'em out.) The words to include were "cat, blood, spirits, magic, pants"

I was careful to set things up just so: salt circle, folded-pants with their customary dusting of cat hair, with an old fashioned dial phone resting on top. Music was always optional; the spirits didn't guide me one way or another, so I slipped a record on the turntable.

The witching hour. I pricked my finger and flicked my blood into the flame of a balsam candle. The record cut out and I waited in the silence. The magic's tidal pull rolled around me, and finally, the phone rang. I reached across the circle to pick it up.

"Hi Dad."  


Who knows, maybe there's a novel in that and maybe I'll send it to Janet Reid when it's finished. That's personalizing a query for ya! 


(for October Madness, I send a story to Shimmer yesterday, and to Apex regular submissions today.)

2 comments:

  1. I did love this entry! I actually got goosebumps when I first read it. Love her contests...and since I've been following her blog, I've entered every one. It took me a while too before I got any sort of comments, or special recognition. I think there's something to be said for 1) learning how to write something in 100 words with her five must use words, 2) helping to hone our skills as writers overall. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks!

      It's super hard to write a something that's 100 words total, 95 of YOUR words if you consider her specifications ;) I haven't entered every one since I started reading the blog, I don't think, but I've entered a bunch. It's definitely a worthwhile challenge.

      Delete