Saturday, October 12, 2024

"doorbell dot mov" by Jennifer R. Donohue, in The Deadlands issue #34 (spring 2024)

 I like to think that I update this blog once a year, whether I need to or not (and I guess I need to, for awards eligibility ease)

And so I didn't make an actual post when my short story, "doorbell dot mov", appeared in issue #34 of The Deadlands, which was the Spring 2024 issue.

It's a very short story, 1500 words, and it's inspired by those youtube videos that are like, "what you'll see on this doorbell camera will shock you" or whatever. You know, spooky found footage stuff that's often in compilations. 

The Deadlands has been a goal market for me since day one of its existence. Short stories about death? That's my deal. Additionally, they've got a broader publishing imprint, Psychopomp, which publishes novellas and novelettes.

I'm talking about this all for a few reasons. One, "doorbell dot mov" has been reviewed in Locus twice now, and recommended both times by the reviewers! (Paula Guran and A.C. Wise). "doorbell dot mov" is a story that's awards-eligible for 2024 (so that's, a big list. The Nebula, the Stoker, the Hugo, Shirley Jackson, Subjective Chaos, whatever the award they give out at Dragoncon is called, etc. etc. etc.) so if you're in a story-nominating mood and like my writing, keep that in mind!

And the final reason is that Psychopomp is fundraising for 2025 and to that end, they sell coins for the ferryman. There's also a limited edition pin, and beyond that you can buy the novellas, the 2024 print issues, a 2025 digital subscription, etc. etc. so check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment